Technology for Students
Students must first register for a new user account with Unbound Medicine. Once created, the account can be used to activate the mobile app available for iOS and Android devices. The account can also be used to access Nursing Central resources through any web browser on a desktop, laptop, tablet or smart phone.
1) Create a User Account with Unbound Medicine
Creating a user account is a one-time only process. Once a user account is established, it can be used to access Nursing Central content throughout all years of the nursing program.
- Locate a computer or handheld device connected to the USASK network (wired or wifi). See suggested locations below.
- Using a web browser, navigate to http://nursing.unboundmedicine.com.
- Click "Sign in" in the upper right corner.
- Click "Register" button.
- Fill in the fields on the registration form. The username is self-determined, but remember to use your U of S email address in the email field.
- Read and accept the Terms of Service and click Continue to complete the account setup.
Suggested Locations to access the USASK network to create an account
- Saskatoon: Computers in the Learning Commons of the Health Sciences or main U of S Library, the Health Science Computer lab A203, any laptop or handheld connected to USASK secure (via NSID) at U of S Saskatoon Campus
- Regina: Computers in the Learning Commons, any laptop or handheld connected to USASK secure (via NSID) at U of S Regina Campus
- Prince Albert: Students can connect to the USASK Secure Wi-Fi network using their NSID in the Skill's Lab Room 200A or in classrooms 204 and 200F.
- La Ronge, Île-à-la-Crosse and Yorkton: Students will require a unique email invite to register for Nursing Central. Email invites will be sent to new incoming nursing students in La Ronge, Île-à-la-Crosse and Yorkton before classes start in September each year. If you did not get an invite, please contact:
2) Access Nursing Central
Web Browser Access: Bookmark http://nursing.unboundmedicine.com and use your new Unbound Medicine user account to sign in to the site and access content from any web browser, anytime. The web access is mobile friendly for all screen sizes. Using web access will require an active connection to the internet (wired, wifi, or cellular).
Mobile App: Download the Nursing Central Mobile App for iOS or Android from the respective sources for those devices. Activate the Nursing Central Mobile App with your Unbound Medicine account to get the latest content at your fingertips. The app will only require an active network connection to receive periodic content updates throughout the year. Nursing Central App can be used on a daily basis without an active network connection.
The Health Sciences Library is here to provide support and troubleshooting for students. To submit questions, comments, or concerns about your experience with Nursing Central, please fill out the form, linked below. The form asks for a website address. Please just type usask.ca in that field. A support team member from the Library of Health Sciences will contact you:
Unbound Medicine provides full technical support and user training for Nursing Central.
- Unbound Medicine Nursing Central Tutorial Video - Updated Nov. 2016
- Unbound Medicine's YouTube Page
- Phone: (610) 627-9090 ext. 1 (9 - 5 Eastern Time business days)
Do I have to pay anything?
There are no charges for students to set up an Unbound Medicine user account for Nursing Central access under the U of S site license.
What content is included in the U of S Nursing Central site license?
Students and instructors can access the following packages under the site license for no charge.
Nursing Central, Nurse's Pocket Guide, and RNotes.
Why is Windows Phone not supported?
There were several criteria used as part of the selection process to acquire an electronic resource for student use. One of the main goals was multi-platform support, which allows students to use devices they may already own to interact with the content. Unbound Medicine dropped support of the Windows Phone platform, but advises Windows Phone users to use the web browser method to access resources. The web browser method is mobile compatible for a variety of screen sizes.
Can I sign out of the App and login with a different user account?
No. If the app is associated with an expired account, please delete the app and download it again from the respective app store for your device. Then you will be able to sign in to the app with an alternate username.
Where can I get more information about Nursing Central?
Please visit the Nursing Central website for general information on device specs, installation, how-to videos, etc. (Note: There is no need to purchase Nursing Central directly from the website since it is provided at U of S under the site license.)