Workshops and Conferences
|Oct 4, 2018||Skin and Wound Care||Nurses||
|Oct 30 - 31, 2018||Foot Care for Older Adults Workshop||Nurses||
|Nov 6 - 8, 2018||Regional Nursing Workshop||Nurses||
|Nov 15 - 16, 2018||Introduction to 12 Lead ECG Interpretation Workshop||Nurses||
|October 10-12, 2018||2018 CRRF Conference: Health and Shared Prosperity||Health Care Professionals and Others||Saskatoon|
|October 20, 2018||Pain and Therapeutics Conference||Health Care Professionals and Others||Saskatoon|
12 Lead Refresher
This one day workshop is for registered nurses who have previously taken CEDN’s Introduction to 12 Lead ECG Interpretation course. Participants will review topics such as ECG changes for myocardial ischemia, injury and infarction, differentiating right bundle block from left bundle branch block, normal and abnormal axis deviations, left and right ventricular hypertrophy, supraventricular and ventricular tachyarrhythmias, and identify electrolyte and drug effects. Learning activities include lecture and group discussion, but the emphasis is hands-on practice.
In this 2 day workshop for RNs and LPNs, topics include preparation of the nurse and care unit - standards of care, multiple trauma assessment, documentation, respiratory emergencies, head, neck and spinal injuries, gastrointestinal, musculoskeletal, soft tissue emergencies, case studies and stabilization, and transport.
Foot Care for Older Adults
This two day workshop is approved by members of the Saskatchewan College of Podiatrists.The objective of this workshop is to standardize basic foot care for older adults in the province of Saskatchewan, within the scope of practice of Registered Nurses(RN), Registered Psychiatric Nurses (RPN) and Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN) by providing:
- an increased understanding of the structure and function of the foot
- an awareness of the more common foot and nail pathologies and ability to determine when it would be appropriate to refer to a podiatrist or a physician
- an increased understanding of etiology, pathology, assessment and nursing intervention associated with diabetes, venous vascular disease, peripheral arterial disease and ulcerations of the ankle and foot
- information and practice on geriatric foot and diabetic foot assessment techniques
- information on instruments: use, sterilization, cleaning and disinfecting techniques, as well as, care and storage
- an opportunity to participate in foot care procedures including, nail and skin care and padding and strapping
- an awareness of the health and safety factors involved in providing foot care
Please note: The Foot Care Workshop offered by CEDN prepares LPNs to provide basic foot care with additional competencies according to the SALPN Practice Guideline. This workshop is NOT an advanced foot care workshop that would allow nurses to open their own independent practice. The CEDN Foot Care Workshop discusses the use of tools, such as the black file and the diamond deb file, but does not teach the use of rotary tools.
Introduction to 12 Lead ECG Interpretation
This advanced two day workshop is for registered nurses (RN). It is delivered by an expert nurse on an on demand basis. Topics include, identifying the leads of the standard 12 Lead ECG, defining the anatomical position for the placement of chest and limb lead, determining which portion of the heart each lead "sees", recognizing ECG changes for ischemia, injury and AMI, differentiating right bundle block from left bundle branch block, as well as identifying left and right ventricular hypertrophy. *NOTE: Registrants require prior training in ECG interpretation and a minimum of six months experience working with ECGs. Here is a short video about the workshop.
IUD and Pessary Insertion for NPs
This one day workshop for NPs reviews anatomy and physiology, and assessment and techniques. It includes a discussion of current options of IUDs and pessaries, indications and contraindications for insertion, and appropriate follow-up care. There is also demonstration and hands-on practice of insertion techniques.
This two day workshop is delivered by an expert nurse on an on demand basis.
The physical assessment workshop is for Registered Nurses (RN), Registered Psychiatric Nurses (RPN), Nurse Practitioners (NP), and Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN). Participants will enhance their interviewing and history taking skills and improve their ability to perform a comprehensive physical examination and make clinical judgments about adult client health care needs. Topics covered in this two day workshop include Respiratory, Cardiovascular Systems, Neurological and Abdominal Systems.
Learning activities include lecture and group discussion, but the emphasis is hands-on assessment with participants practicing on each other.
Skin and Wound Care for Nurses
This is a one day workshop where RNs, LPNs and NPS will:
- Improve their knowledge of skin and wound care
- Learn and apply assessment techniques and strategies to recognize changes in related to skin and wounds and care plan for safe, quality outcomes
- Improve their skill and ability to provide appropriate care and interventions in their workplace
- Assess for the need for referral to another healthcare provider
- Review the different variety of wound care products and their use
Suturing and Surgical Techniques for RN(NP)s
In this workshop for nurse practitioners (NP), participants will be provided with a review of basic suturing skills and techniques, along with the opportunity to gain knowledge, skill and ability with more complicated sutures and other surgical skills.
Learning activities will include basics of materials and techniques, suture patterns, discussion of wounds that may/should not be closed primarily but may need to heal by secondary intention, proper cleaning/prep of wound, simple mole removal, assessment for and application of skin glue, incision and drainage and cyst with capsule removal.
Perinatal Education Program
CEDN maintains strong ties to both internal and external partners.